Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Happy Earth Day and Other Musings

I've always held this day in high regard as for my entire adult life, I've felt an affinity to environmentalism. I've lived in some beautiful parts of California where I have recognized the delicate balance between natural wonder and human development. I have also seen some poor but permanent decisions made to eradicate portions (albeit globally small) of God's green earth that I regret. I've also seen from my own personal spiritual journey that today needs to take just as much importance as any other vitally important holiday. Regardless of humans' interpretation of Genesis or other creation myths, as a Christian who does cherish the story of Genesis as a parable for humanity's place in creation, I see that people were created LAST. Therefore, we are the youngest and the most youthful of all of creation and, therefore, in our youthful ignorance and arrogance, we've failed to see just where we fit (or think we fit) in the scheme of things. My children and grand-children need to live on a beautiful and natural earth and truly shouldn't have to consider anywhere else in the universe to live. Why can't we understand that, religious affiliations and earthly origins aside, as we live, we leave an impact. Typing this egocentric blog leaves a carbon footprint; energy is needed for the electricity, the fossil fuels used in the computer unit, the plastics that can't be recycled for the production of the item, et cetera. Happy Earth Day; may this day be a day to remind and suade us all to reuse, reduce and recycle all the more.

Happy birthday, Kelly Brown, who has just started yet another trip 'round on this third rock from the sun. Hope 33 is better than 32 and may 34 be even better!!! I need to know whether you and Chris are catching Derek and Susan. If you two go, the chances are better that I'll be able to (though there won't be a place for you two to stay!!!).

With emergency trips to the hospital, fetal bludgeonings of mommy's tummy, lack of sleep and impending adjustments with my two year old, I'm just praying that I'll be able to parent three children under three, maintain semblance of professionalism at work, be a good husband and keep my sanity. This all has to work; I'm not the only person who's ever done this but I sure feel like Sysyphus at this point. I'll be ridding myself of pride and shame and guilt and even privacy in order for my growing family to survive and thrive. Here goes nothing, right?

My wife and I do have the names chosen for our two new beautiful babies but for security's sake, those names will not be discussed here. I will say that they are names that, for our family, ring of tradition and history, inspiration and loss, hope and peace. I can't wait to call my babies by their given names instead of just referring to them to others. An April birthdate is looking increasingly realistic. My own mom is dreading the 26th as it is the birthday of my recently-deceased and estranged grandfather; a lot of bad blood there would not make for a good birthday this Thursday (or whatever the day)...

Okay, Easter Egg, here. Here are my faves/best of for the Allman Brothers Band, my all-time favorite band in the whole world. I have experienced this band in many forms and its current state proves to me that rock/popular/performance/improvisational music still holds great relevance in the early 21st century. While I never experienced the Duane era beyond cd's, there isn't another group out there that I've digested more of, spent more money on, made more friends over, cried more tears over, seen more in concert, traveled more to see and invested time in. So, without further ado, here goes:

ABB: Whipping Post/Dreams
Idlewild South: Midnight Rider/Liz Reed
Fillmore East (all songs available, and YES this does count as a studio album): Mountain Jam/Statesboro Blues
Eat A Peach: Blue Sky/Blue Sky
Brothers and Sisters: Jessica/Jessica
Win, Lose Or Draw: High Falls/Can't Lose What You Never Had
Pegasus: these three albums don't count at all. They can't. Duane spun in his grave while
Brothers of the Road: Berry rose from the dead simply to not be attached to the band at this
Reach For the Sky: point in the band's career. Cher? C'mon. The ABB's "lost weekend".
Seven Turns: Seven Turns/True Gravity
Shades of Two Worlds: Kind of Bird/Nobody Knows
Where It All Begins: Sailin' 'Cross the Devil's Sea/Sailin'
Hittin' the Note: High Cost of Low Living/Desdemona

Well, there we have it. Ask me tomorrow and I'll be choosing Liz Reed live and Nevertheless. Whatever, right?

|