Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

New Bruce!

For some, the announcement today that Bruce is releasing a live album of his most recent tour is a good thing. For others, it's a drag. And yet others, it's a non-event. Of course I'll buy it but will do so with reservations as I already listen to the heck out of the Seeger Sessions. The live album has been cherry-picked from late-date shows in Ireland where the reviews scorched. I have to admit that with the added musicians and live setting, the new album totally cooked. The "covers" stood just as strong as his own material. A couple of new songs will also be included, a good teaser for the supposed E Street album later this year. Now whether that comes around or not, I'm already saving my pennies. The tour would soon follow...

Speaking of tours, it does look like the Allman Brothers Band just may grace us with their presence sometime in early September. That would be a treat, considering it will have made two and a half years since the previous show. I am currently listening to three shows from their ongoing Beacon run and they're awesome. The 3/22 show is absolutely brilliant; I haven't thrown in the 3/23. The 3/24 has some great moments, including a complete Dazed and Confused in the middle of Mountain Jam but for the most part, the night is tired and plodding. Many errors on Gregg's part and slow tempos. While I've never seen even a "good" show ("good" being unremarkable), this one seems to need some tightening down. The setlists continue to amaze. Opening with "In A Silent Way"? Incredible.

Politics being what they are right now, I am excited to say that tomorrow, my congressman, Jerry McNerney, is coming to my high school to speak to juniors and seniors in social science courses. Without bragging, what's cool is that I'm directly responsible for this happening. I think I posted once that I met him through my father but as his communications director and I talked, I stated that I taught. As he and the party expressed interest in addressing students, I didn't think that something like this could be squeezed into the congressman's schedule. Lo and behold, through a series of e-mails and telephone calls (all from his offices), McNerney will walk onto my campus! I'm also excited to see that approximately 200 students will be there to hear him. What happens, who knows, but I'm thrilled to see even the slightest amount of politics and democracy come my way and our way. The fact that I'm in support of his politics doesn't hurt. The fact that I've even pursued this visit instead of inviting our previous congressman does reveal a bit of my politics. Then again, anyone calling me in a derogatory fashion an "enviro" doesn't deserve my respect.

Alberto? Not doing well.
Mitt? Who knew on the fund raising? Let's see him pass the all-important James Dobson test. The fact that Dobson's name holds importance in this country is a sad commentary.
Fred Thompson? Here comes another actor!
Tommy Thompson? Will Bush announce him as former Secretary of Health and Human Development again? No chance
McCain? Sinking quickly.
Barack and Hillary. Are they what we need? Really?
The electoral college. As about as democratic and reflective of people's wishes as Iraq's current form of government. At least the tuition is low.

Welcome back, hermano. Now get to work!!!!

|