Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, February 26, 2007

Whew! and I Hate Chris Brown

A bunch of problems and nearly losing this blog, but I'm safe now.

Now, onto business: if the world is ending, don't ask Chris "Lefty" Brown to be your evangelist. He'll just take the good news and keep it. This dude, whom I love dearly has sat, for nearly two years, on the magic of the live album Aretha at Fillmore West from May, 1971. Chris basically said to me, "wow, cool, check this out! I just picked it up and it's cool". That's like saying marital relations are fun if there's nothing else to do. It's like saying George W. Bush was just indicting. It's like ... I'm out of lame similes. I don't think any music lover needs a road to Damascus conversion with the Queen of Soul but you haven't sampled this absolute gem of an album, stop what you're doing and pay full retail price for this double discer. Then you'll find yourself standing on street corners with the billboards hoping for the end to be near. It's stunning. To think that Rhino only issued a 5,000-copy edition of all three sets of King Curtis and Aretha is seriously a crime. Chris knows I'm teasing and that I love him, but my revelation prompts this question: what "classic" (or just down-right old) album have you recently stumbled across has made you see the light? Classic artist? Movie? Curious.

Missed the Oscars for the first time in a decade. I hear they're still going on right now. Pretty predictable and shameful for Pixar's Cars not to win Best Animated Feature. Maybe I'm the parent of a young child and a direct funding source for the next film but Cars was a good one.

|