Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Art and Science

I just returned from an incredible performance by the Branford Marsalis Quartet at the sold-out Yoshi's in Oakland. Playing for an hour and fifteen minutes, the BMQ flew threw six tunes varying from standards to recently-recorded ballads to an Ornette Coleman tune. Performing on the soprano saxophone for the first fifty minutes, a loose but focussed Marsalis kept his band ripping through lively interplay across three songs. Jeff "Tain" Watts had to remind his leader to switch to the tenor, which brought about a swift kick to the band's improvisation. Between the second and third songs, Eric Revis, the bass player, turned to Joe Caldarosso the pianist and asked which key the upcoming song was in. I, with a seat right against the stage, piped up, "F flat!". I received a couple of laughs, a thumbs-up and Joe banging the E key asking me if he was playing the right note. I've never successfully heckled a band before so of course I felt proud of myself. As the band smoked through another forty-five minutes of beautiful music, they reached fever pitch on their fourth tune that brought soloing to a new height. The respective musicians intensified their playing and one of the highlights was drummer Jeff "Tain" Watts playing contrapuntal drum fills over a common time. His drumming is always amazing but tonight the audience could tell that the band was having itself a good time. As the band walked off the stage, we gave them a standing ovation. I received a handshake from Joe and head nods from the band. After the encore, Branford nodded and bowed my way as I furiously whistled and clapped my appreciation.
I've posted before the genius of this quartet. This makes the fourth time in three years I've seen the band and this ranks as truly one of the best. For jazz novices and lovers alike, tonight's performance by the BMQ evokes memories and hopes of classic lineups of the past that have defined the very essence of jazz itself. Branford's band makes me feel that, when the history of jazz music is re-written to include the twenty-first century, a very large an indelible mark will be made by the quartet of musicians that I had the pleasure and privilege of seeing.

The setlist that I could make up:
1. Giggin' (Ornette Coleman)
2. Faith
3. Free To Be (by brother Wynton)
4.
5.
6. Lover (Rodgers-Hart)

|