Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

U2

In continuing my thoughts on favorites but best ofs, I thought I'd tackle U2, one of my favorite bands. Now that The Joshua Tree has celebrated its twentieth birthday, and U2 being the one band I've followed the longest, here goes. Thinking about this, it is a bit weird to think that I was in eighth grade when The Joshua Tree came out, I felt "pressured" by my friends who already liked the band, to go pick up some of their music. I remember to this day trekking down with my mom to the Wherehouse and buying (on cassette) The Joshua Tree, Under A Blood Red Sky and October for $20. One of the greatest days of my life.

Boy: I Will Follow/I Will Follow
October: October/Gloria
War: New Year's Day/Sunday Bloody Sunday
Under A Blood Red Sky (does this get to count?): 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
The Unforgettable Fire: The Unforgettable Fire/Pride (In the Name of Love)
The Joshua Tree: Side II/Side I (got out of that one easily)
Rattle and Hum (if this counts, all the others do): Angel of Harlem/Desire
Achtung Baby: Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses/Even Better Than the Real Thing
Zooropa: So Far Away, So Close/SFA,SC
Pop: Discotheque/Discotheque
All That You Can't Leave Behind: Elevation/Beautiful Day
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb: Yahweh/City of Blinding Lights

What should I do next? Pink Floyd? Anyway, I shouldn't get started about U2 and my love for them. Or Floyd. I am showing 'Dark Side of the Rainbow' in class today to be followed up by The Wall on Monday. Good stuff.

|