Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Miers Who?

Just a quick note - my astute political theorist wife fired off a great piece of insight, though it just being a hunch. She stated that Bush doesn't really want Miers on the Supreme Court; he just fired her name out there to test the waters of his conservative base. Miers won't get the nod, as conservatives don't want her, so she'll go down in flames only to be succeeded by a hard-core right wing ideologue. Bush can then say, "I'm only doing what my base wants me to do," shove this person through confirmation and then the Democrats won't have a chance to block. The 5-4 split will be locked as the successor will probably be someone in her/his early 20s so that person will be on the bench for only sixty or so years. Only with our luck, right?

On a good note, I did pick up a couple of cool records last night. My wife and I are fans of Sheryl Crow and her latest one's less rock and more ballady. I always love listening to new Sheryl records and playing the "I hear this song and this band and this producer" game with each song. She's obviously a Beatles fan as much of her records have a Fab four influence. However, it's a Beatles > Jeff Lynne's wet dream > Aimee Mann type of Beatles influence, but there's always music that makes one think, "doesn't that sound like the Beatles even though they never wrote a tune or a song like that?" Lyrically, Crow's pretty banal but her vocals and the music sound great, which is the whole purpose of rock and roll anyway.
The second record is by the band My Morning Jacket. "Z" is a cool record a la Pink Floyd's "Echoes" done by Crosby, Stills & Nash sung by Steve Perry's "Dream On" outtakes. Their previous album, "It Still Moves" is a stronger rock album but this new one's fun as well. I can imagine many late summer night outdoors drinking a beer with the guys shooting the breeze listens.

|