Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ups and Downs

Lots to talk about since I haven't been blogging very often. There's just so little time. At any rate, there's a lot to talk about.

Firstly, I wanted to mention how sad I am to hear about the passing of musician Paul Pena. I first heard of Pena in 2000 listening to David Gans' "Dead to the World" radio show on KPFA. Pena's 1973 New Train album had finally been released and Gans played it in its entirety. Ever hear something and wonder where it's been your whole life? After hearing the album, I realized that I knew Pena's music without knowing the man; he wrote "Gonna Move", a song covered by both Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi. Pena also wrote "Jet Airliner" that was made huge by Steve Miller. Living in Fresno at the time, I could not track the album down and had to live with the fact that the record was just too elusive to find.
Moving to Brentwood, I immediately found the album and turned some of my friends on to it. Then, in May of last year when Derek Trucks came to San Francisco, Paul Pena joined the band on stage for "Gonna Move" and it was a true treat to see the man that made such a beautiful record. You owe it to Paul and yourself to listen to New Train.

On better notes:

Tom DeLay is the target of a vast left-wing conspiracy except for the fact that separate and independent grand juries are indicting him on charges of corruption and money laundering. We all know that this is the case of the liberal media, panicky Democrats and and effete corps of impudent snobs blah blah blah. Tom, you're a frigging crook and while cloaking yourself around the flag and Jesus may work for the ignorant voters of Texas, it won't in several courts of law. Nice knowing ya. Maybe you can spend some time after you're sent to jail writing your name in the book of rightwing reactionary demagogues like Spiro Agnew. Good riddance.

You know, I just spent an hour typing up a huge review of Intelligent Design and then just lost the damn post!!! I'm not going to retype it as I've lost an hour of work and time in my life. Sorry, you'll just have to know what I think and chalk this up to yet another novel, like Joyce's destroyed, right?

Eight years!!! What a great ride!

|