Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Great Plans

Lots going on. Recognizing the fifth anniversary of the death of Allen Woody, bassist extraordinaire. Five years ago tonight, my friend Chris and I went to about the worst damn show I've ever seen. We caught The Other Ones, parts of the Grateful Dead led by Bob Weir and Mickey Hart. If there were two people in the Dead that should NEVER EVER front a band, it's these two. I caught the band two years previous and the spark was there. I took my dad and even he loved the show. This time totally blew. One thing that didn't help was the fact that the setlist was nearly identical to the first. My only highlight was a cool Cassidy. Any rate, I came home and the next morning on the computer was a flood of e-mails noting Woody's death. Too bad.
Fifteen years ago tonight, Stevie Ray Vaughan was killed in a helicopter crash in Wisconsin. That was a heartbreaker as well. What a loss. I remember starting my senior year of high school in a total funk because of that one.
On a positive note, my same friend Chris and I are seeing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers with the Black Crowes opening up!!! The show's at the Greek Theater in Berkeley which is just about the best venue on earth. God did a nice job making the Berekeley hills, and tomorrow, a couple of great bands will sing his praises with some kick butt rock and roll. Hoping the Crowes smoke again. It will be great seeing my friend as we go way back and have a long and wonderful friendship. Plus, if you read this in time (and only if, no cheatsies), I'm buying tomorrow as a thank you!!! Here's to hoping that the Crowes play Descending and that Petty plays American Girl.

|