Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Comes A Time

Last weekend, Chris and I traveled to Berkeley to catch the Comes A Time musical tribute to Jerry Garcia. A six hour long concert, members of Jerry's original bluegrass/jugband group played along with members of String Cheese Incident, musicians that played in his various solo bands along with surviving members of the Grateful Dead (sans Phil) with guitar virtuosuos Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes and Trey Anastasio. Fantastic concert, and I cleaned Chris' clock on setlist challenge. Standout songs were Ripple (acoustic) Scarlet>Fire, Eyes of the World (a bit too slow) and Brokedown Palace, which almost choked me up. All of the Dead members behaved themselves well, especially Bob, though Mickey's version of Fire On the Mountain has to be about the worst rendition of a Dead song next to Phil's Cosmic Charlie. Ever been to a concert with six hours of non-stop music?

Have immersed myself in the mythology of the early career of Robert Zimmerman. Scorcese, thank you, Costco, thank you (for cheap prices), Joan, thank you, in a demented way, Sara, thank you and Woody, thank you.

Only three more days until my two-week break. Thank God. My family's been battling the flu bug. I'm the only one so far that hasn't been red shirting for Linda Blair.

The soundtrack to No Direction Home is just a starter. Can't go wrong with anything from the 60s and while Chris and I fight over New Morning, I'll raise the ante by stating just how incredibly good Nashville Skyline has always been. Take that one, Brownie...

|