Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Autumn Winds

blow chilly and cold occasionally here in Brentwood. Intermittant rain and sun but overall beautiful fall weather. Good weather for band gigs but that appears to be nowhere on the horizon. First, this.


I just finished viewing Paul McCartney's "Get Back" concert video from his huge 1989-1990 world tour. I wanted to see it so badly. He played to a very packed house at the Berkeley Memorial Stadium in front of 120,000 (I saw Rush for the first time that night). I have the live album that I listened to non-stop in my high school days. I had always wanted to see the Golden Slumbers-Carry That Weight-The End medley and I finally found the show. It's terrible. Well filmed and all but I don't think I've ever seen a more flaccid live performance of a top-notch band. Macca's vocals were surely weak and shot by the time the show's audio was recorded. I'm not naive enough to think that live albums have no studio alterations; of course they do. Unfortunately, this doesn't. Lots of bum notes and double vocals by Hamish Stuart (from Average White Band on bass and guitars). And then there's Linda... I guess it still serves as a document of his comeback but compare this to his output of the early 21st century and you'll see that today's cute Beatle decimates the "Flowers In the Dirt" era myth I'd always loved.

Okay, now that Stephen Colbert is running for president in South Carolina as both a Democrat AND a Republican, can anyone from either party vote for him in the primary?

I'm sorry, but I think she's a hottie. Her hubby's a UCSB grad to boot.

Concord Records will be opening its fifty-year old vault of Montery Jazz Festival recordings. It's like Dick's Picks without six hundred million versions of "Big River" that all sound the same.

Eight days and counting...

|