Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Many Thanks

May God bless Sonny Rollins. What the man accomplishes musically today still outpaces musicians less than half his age. Working on his eighth decade and still going strong, Newk is a true inspiration in his humanity and humility. In my seven-year love crush on his music, I can only say that Sonny is truly unique in what he contributes to the art of jazz.

Several of my students ditched their oh-so-fun government class today to see Senator Barack Obama speak at a San Francisco fundraiser. That these sixteen- and seventeen year old students have developed a passion for politics and a candidate they believe in is wonderful. When was the last time the Left offered a candidate that actually inspired? Now, granted, what we don't need is a motivational speaker for president but a qualified, well-connected expert manager to run the nation. That said, the masses still do need someone to make the impersonal real, to make the system designed and run by the 'haves' feel real to those who wish to be 'haves'. Cynicism aside, Obama is the JFK of the early 21st century; As insipid as the Kerry/Edwards campaign now appears, I can still remember being blown away by the young Senatorial candidate speaking on behalf of the Democratic Party and its presidential candidate on July 27, 2004. I just felt that his ability to reach countless people via public address could bring about positive change, even if it meant that the change would be delivered by the efforts of others. I believe that Obama, while a politician, is legit and genuine. Is he qualified? Was Kennedy in '60? Was Bush in '00? Is anyone, for that matter? I'm not endorsing Obama but I would like to see his charisma and energy remain on the national level. Maybe he's running for the Vice Presidency, who knows. All I know is that I will have a half-dozen young ladies in my classroom on Monday going nuts about their experience.

I remember seeing Hillary Clinton speak in the fall of 1992 as her husband was running a tight three-way race. In that campaign I also caught Jesse Jackson and Ross Perot speak, all in Storke Plaza at the UCSB campus. I knew at that point that even as a footnote, those speeches and that campaign were part of history. To feel connected for the first time to something contemporary but also permanent made me feel a greater connection to what the recording of history actually was. I didn't care whether I believed or supported each person, I simply went to be a part of that something bigger than myself. President Bush failed to campaign at the campus himself or else I would have been there; and while nearly twenty years later, I still have yet to savor a presidential victory, I admire my young and hopeful students who see national elections as chances to make change. One of these students, someone whom my wish would be to make it to the Big Apple and study journalism, has such a passion for politics that I wonder if, eventually, she doesn't end up on Obama's campaign herself. When was the last time I was motivated enough to become part of something to believe in? That barely happens at my work, church or local community. Maybe what I need are these young students egging me on to actually participate. Whether naive, hopeful or delusional, for anyone to step up and make an effort of even ditching school to hear a campaign speech is, in many ways, one of the most patriotic acts one can ever do.

The fifty-year old cut "Newk's Time" is rolling in the background; those lines keep laughing.

|