Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Adding to the Collection

Took my son to the doctor's yesterday and on the way home, I stopped off at Rasputin Records in Pleasant Hill. Man, I love this place. I've been shopping there since I could drive, and I've spent many countless afternoons there, wandering up and down the aisles, looking at cd's and lp's, memorizing album and song titles for artists I'll probably never even listen to along with all of my favorites. By the way, how many times have you shot straight to your favorite artist in a record store, even though you own the entire catalogue, to look, JUST IN CASE some sort of special find is waiting there for you? At any rate, yesterday, I picked these up:

Oscar Peterson Trio: Night Train. For less than $10 new!!! I've always wanted this but never at the $19 Tower price. Excellent, blues-based album. Bookends a great piece on Peterson in a recent issue of The Smithsonian .

Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil. Incredible lineup, great cuts. Need to absorb this one a little more and it will shoot to the top of my faves list.

Donny Hathaway: Everything Is Everything. Chris Brown, please forgive me for not jumping on this bandwagon years ago as you did. What a beautiful album; soulful, bluesy, urban. Drop everything and go buy this one.

The Clash: London Calling. For the sake of understanding what the fuss is about. Could someone who understands this album educate me as to the album's importance? Enjoyed the first listen but was not "grabbed" by it. Help!

Happy listening; having a great weekend.

|