Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

The Sky Is Falling, Or How To Create A Problem

How is it that conservative anti-tax groups and the Bush Administration, which hasn't gotten shit right since it started four years ago, are the only two groups to have a monopoly on the idea that Social Security needs to be ended as we know it because it's going to collapse? How many other industrialized nations, world leaders in education, technology, commerce, and economics have begun to dismantle social services because their programs aren't working? How is it that George Bush is touting education reform and further testing in order to end mediocrity in education when the guy himself bragged about being a C+ student in college? I had a better GPA and higher test scores and yet I barely got into the UC that I graduated from, and I actually feel like I busted my hump and that I am good in my field. I actually knew more than five leaders of foreign nations before Bush started his presidency and yet he knows how to run my job? How about we take the Governator's plan to pay government employees on merit pay versus tenure? Damn, I love this idea; however, let's apply it to the legislative branch and to members of the Bush White House. Let's see, Donald Rumsfeld would owe back wages; Bush would be unemployed, Condi Rice would need to take out a loan; Tom DeLay would have declared bankruptcy (but sharked the lending agency money to spend); how much longer should I rant? Damnit, I get sick and tired of politicians who seem to be the number one example of ineptitude and compromise telling the rest of the nation how to screw up their own lines of work. I will be the first to state that government and education both need to be reformed. Having George Bush and Arnold Swarzenneger tell me how it will be done is a travesty. I'm glad the political heroes and role models are dead as to not see how Rome is going to dismantle itself in the name of self-interest and private accounting. Last time I checked, the Enron scandal erupted based on lack of accounting. George Bush's alcoholic first forty years were due to a lack of accounting, and those nineteen terrorists that slammed our own shit in our face were due to a serious lack of accounting. I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore. I agree with Ted Kennedy, who today stated that the Democratic Party needed to return to its roots and not become clones (i.e. "bitches") of the Republican Party. It's a sad state of affairs (nothing against Teddy, who's got probably one of the most liberal records in Senate history) that a septugenarian who has never been mainstream or "one of us" due to his silver-spoon upbringing and Camelot-connectedness, is reminding the largest political party in the history of the nation, that its roots lie in supporting the populace, labor, the working poor, the average American, small businesses, those who can't fend for themselves, those who fear oppressive government, progressives, liberal-minded free-thinking-theocracy-fearing lower case "d" democrats who love this country and what it stands for? Let's hop on the Teddy bus (as long as he's not driving) and let's steer it where we want it to go. People get ready. You don't need no ticket, you just get on board.

|