Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Sunday, February 22, 2009

And the Winner Is...

Tonight's Academy Awards were a bit underwhelming. Hugh Jackman started off comedic but for some reason, the whole kit and kaboodle felt rushed. The sound was horrible (that, or the music director didn't realize that when people are presenting, the orchestra is supposed to stfu) and impersonal. The tribute portion of the show, which is always the most moving and favorite portions of mine, was just an absolute shame, with moving cameras that made for a struggle to read the names of the departed. That's what I want at my send-off; someone squinting at the program asking what my name is. Touching.

Forgot about what I've been spinning. This week's been pretty busy, though some good music has continued to air throughout the house and classroom.

Tift Merritt - Another Country
Pink Floyd - Meddle, side 1
The Bristol Sessions, RCA Records, 1927-1928
Easy Rider Sdtk
Forrest Gump Sdtk
Born On the Fourth of July Sdtk
Almost Famous (my phenomenal home made three discer) Sdtk (all to get in Oscar mode)
Bruce - 11/22/05 Devils & Dust tour finale, along with a three disc compilation
Waylon Jennings - Lonesome, On'ry and Mean
Bruce - The River
Fleet Foxes
Derek Trucks - Already Free
Joe Lovano - Joyous Encounter
Tom Petty - Anthology disc one
John Mellencamp - The Best That I Could Do
The Replacements - Pleased to Meet Me
REM - Green

I thought about tearing into the latest Victor D. Hanson article but it's getting late and old doing this. I guess that I have to writhe on the ground knowing that people with different beliefs get free press and I don't. It's not the level of education or social position. It's the oft-idiotic statements that influence others that steer our nation into disastrous and failed policies like the last eight years. I'm not sure what to really think of the last month but anything's better than what Bush left. I do think that Bush failed so badly that Obama's successes will have to be great in order to break even.

C-Span's semi-annual ranking of the presidents placed Bush at 36th. Not sure whether William Henry Harrison is included in the overall rankings here but I believe it's a bit too high. However, let's assess:

Obama's 44; he's not on the list. Down to 43.
Grover Cleveland was both 22 and 24. Down to 42.
Presidents 37-41 are all 19th century "caretakers" and maybe Warren Harding, another Republican. He died in office (the best move he could have made for himself) and did not carry out his policies. Should he count? Yes. With a big *.

In all fairness, it is accurate to say that historians have already declared George W. Bush the greatest presidential failure since the Gilded Age. For anyone to start out so low, it makes one wonder whether Bush will notch up a tad or sink even further. I don't know my ratings history enough to know whether Truman initially ranked low or not but he's 5th. Bush'll never reach even 25th. I honestly believe that 36th, therefore, is a bit too high. Look out, Hayes, Grant and Johnson. And tell Buchanan the news.

Oscar wraps tomorrow night!

Labels:

|