Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Anniversaries

Tomorrow is a nice day. Not only Friday but the one-month mark of President Obama's tenure. I've slept better and have cringed less in the last thirty days than the previous eight years. It's also my parents' forty-third wedding anniversary. Way to go, Mom and Dad.

I've been busy and swamped with school. Bought my first cd in almost a month and weirdly enough, it's Born in the U.S.A. Last winter, I accidentally burned a hole through my cd, using the case to temporarily blind my lcd projector light in my classroom. Within a brief time, the high powered light burned a hole through the case, the booklet and through the disc. While my lp has served me well at home, I need the disc elsewhere, like work. The packaging is slightly different, so I'm hoping that Columbia borrowed the Japanese remasters and brought them here. The record would sound fantastic redone. Nearly bought Charles Mingus' Ah- Um and need to pick it up soon. Sampling this, I was floored at the great post-bop jamming on the album.

Currently reading Rightward Bound: Making America Conservative in the 1970s, edited by Bruce Schulman. Great essays on what helped bring the rise of Reagan and the people who steered the nation for too long in a poor direction. Odd to think of how people, with well-intentioned actions, can end up on the wrong end of history. Here's an entire tome on this.

Labels:

|