Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, April 14, 2008

I Sing Myself!

As I sit and watch tonight's "American Experience" on the life and poetry of Walt Whitman, I receive yet more reassurance that I aptly named my second son.

Seeing "John Adams" and watching the genius and artistry of the third president while watching him grow up, I know more that my inspiration has served me properly in the naming of my first son.


I have nearly had it with the presidential campaign and am beginning to turn from politics as a waste of time for anyone outside of the ruling classes. While the people are hung up on the words, "bitter", "whiskey", and taxes, those with the means to take from others continue the policies that will continue to do so.

While I wonder why I still keep this list, I do find it fun to see what I'm spinning. It's helped me keep my sanity, as tenuous as I have been doing so:

Stones- Goat's Head Soup
Sheryl Crow - Detours
Tift Merritt - Another Country
Beatles - Yellow Submarine
Stax 50th Anniversary Box Set
Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time
Benny Golson - Groovin' With Golson
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Best of the Big Bands - The 1940s
Tift Merritt - Bramble Rose
Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker
Woody Allen - Music From His Movies
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Yes - Classic Yes
Crowes - Warpaint
Jimmy Buffett - Boats, Bars, Beaches, Ballads

Tonight, the spirits of Alan Ginsberg, Robert Hunter, Jack Kerouac, Tom Sawyer, Bob Dylan, Tom Joad and the others that inspire the humanity and mythology of the wandering American experiment are alive tonight!

|