Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

4/3 I've Been To the Mountaintop

I choked as I reminded my students of the forthieth anniversary of the wonderful speech he gave. In the attempt to help garbage workers earn a living wage. To end a war. To dream of equality. To hold a nation accountable for the words of its founding documents. To press his fellow Christians and non-Christians alike that true brotherhood only exists with the acceptance and equal treatment for all.

The first part here.
The second part here.
The video of the most famous part.

Tomorrow marks the fortieth anniversary of a very dark day in history. Forty years later, the first black presidential candidate has introduced the topic in our millenium's society. I wish to recognize the life and commitment of Dr. King, not dwell on his death. My classes will discuss and ponder tomorrow's anniversary and I will play music to honor the occasion. I hope that Bruce does as well in tomorrow night's concert.

I won't post tomorrow or even probably the next night as my friend Chris will be with me on the way to San Jose (cue Dionne Warwick now). It will be, in all reality, the last time I see the E Street Band and maybe even Bruce himself in concert. It will be bittersweet so I'm hoping for all the stops to be pulled out on the new material and many goodies I have yet to catch live. And if I catch a repeat of Backstreets, I'll be thrilled of course as well.

|