Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

3/26 - Nine Days and Counting!

I've a renewed excitement for my two upcoming concerts; while I haven't the energy to pull late hours or all-nighters like I used to for shows while living in Fresno, I'm willing to sacrifice my sleep and weekend for another round of the Boss. Thus far, the second leg of the Magic tour is clobbering the first in terms of setlist change ups and an overall happier demeanor. Maybe the impending departure of Danny Federici weighed heavily on the band's mind but performing the new material could have also been it. Maybe it's the political season that has Bruce happy. All I know is that the certain slots in the setlist where classic songs or audibles, as they're called, show up, and, catching him on consecutive nights should guarantee two entirely different shows.

I haven't been doing very much this Spring Break. It's been almost boring, but I'm not complaining. I moved all of my furniture into my new classroom and tomorrow I will be spending most of the workday re-arranging and organizing it all. I don't have much storage space, so maybe this is a way of telling myself that less is more.

I have the privilege of seeing Eric Alterman speak last night in Berkeley's First Congregational Church. Pushing his new book, "Why We're Liberals", Alterman appears to be out to set the record straight. Of course, others with different political beliefs will argue against his behalf but the greatest ammunition Alterman carries is his footnotes. As Daniel Moynahan once said, "you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts". Alterman's citations are flawless; in all of the books, articles and blogging of his I've read, I've never once come across a single statement of fact that was challenged, questioned or denied. Maybe it's why I hold Alterman's opinions and theses in such high regard; his logic and argumentation is untouchable. Last night, Eric pressed the issues of the failure of the Bush Administration, conservative pundits and both the classic and modern definitions of liberalism. Without getting didactic, Alterman plowed through a century of liberal political thinking. In context, he outlined current conservative claims of "liberalism" as being the leper-like third rail political disaster is has been purported in the media. Having been handed eight years of disastrous neoconservative failings, Alterman also pointed to how the modern conservative movement is not one of political goals to be achieved but a group of ideological zealots looking to hijack the political process. Politics is the art of the compromise; the modern conservative movement, both political and social, however, has done nothing of the sort. If anything, the Bush Administration has shown itself to be nothing but a kakistocracy; a confederacy of dunces. Nepotistic to say the least, full of vengeance and desire to exact revenge for the sins of the fathers, the neocon Bushies have been willing to fail the country simply to paint political enemies as historically responsible for the damage. Alterman pulled no punches against liberals and progressives who wished to attack some of his public positions on past issues; he not only proved his arguments but showed how many others were nothing but houses of cards. During the conversation portion of the evening, I wished to ask a question but felt intellectually inferior to do so. I was able to talk briefly with him as he signed my books, so of course I had to bring up Bruce and the current tour. Maybe I'll be able to post a comment about my shows that he'll post on Altercation.

Music of late:

Bruce - Born to Run
Stones - Beggars Banquet
Ryan Adams - Cold Roses (portion)
Bruce - Lucky Town
Traveling Wilburys - Vol. I
Ryan Adams - Gold
Jackson Browne - Late For the Sky
JB - The Pretender
Phish - Rift
Sheryl Crow - Detours
Black Crowes - Warpaint
Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley
RS - first album
RS - Every Picture Tells a Story
RS - Never a Dull Moment
The Faces - disc three of Five Guys Walk Into a Bar
Jim Croce - Greatest Hits
James Taylor - Greatest Hits
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
Tift Merritt - Another Country
Emmylou Harris - Pieces of the Sky
Stones - Goats Head Soup
Bruce - The River
Bruce - Magic

and more that I can't think of.

Easter was a great weekend. We all traveled to Twain Harte and celebrated the holiday watching my son throw snowballs at his brother and sister. We briefly sledded, dyed Easter eggs, played on the deck and made an Easter basket. What a great time.
Tomorrow my twins turn eleven months old. Can't believe we're already planning their birthday party!

|