Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Sunday, March 02, 2008

3/2

Good news from the doctor!

Learned today that guitarist Jeff Healey died this afternoon of cancer. What a loss. I remember Healey from his 1988 hit, "Angel Eyes" and I have his first record. Full of great blues, it's an amazing testimony to a fantastic player. I saw him live twice; once in 1990, opening up for ZZ Top and again in '93 at Laguna Seca Daze. RIP, Jeff.
Buddy Miles, too. Now that's a drag.
Enjoyed a great weekend; kite flying weather and a chance to see a couple of interesting films - Volver, with Penelope Cruz (!) and The Namesake, an Indian film. The latter was great, the former, only pretty good. Picked up some new music, and it's all great. Tift Merritt's new album is stellar. Much better than what I heard from her Myspace page. An absolute doll and amazing musician. The Robert Plant/Alison Krauss record's really cool - AND my wife wants to see them at the Greek!!! How's that? I also picked up (and here's where people need to tell me, DUH, I could have told you that!!!!!') Elvis Costello's first record, My Aim Is True. Listening to it twice this weekend, I had one of those moments where my world got just a little bigger because of what I was listening to. This deluxe edition has several outtakes and two live performances. If anything's anywhere remotely close to the studio album, this one will remain in rotation for quite a very long time. Where should I go next with Elvis?
Good listening weekend:

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Sheryl Crow - Detours
Hank Mobley - Soul Station
Ravi Shankar - Three Ragas
Tift Merritt - Another Country
Richie Havens - Mixed Bag
REM - Green
Bruce - D&D
Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Madeleine Peyroux - Half the Perfect World
Plant/Krauss - Raising Sand
Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
Benny Golson - Groovin' With Golson
Richie Havens - Grace of the Sun

with a little Edith Piaf and jazz as well.

I've really been enjoying Richie Havens' material. I recently read his memoir and have been inspired by the great Village scene and how he has come to make the music he has. Whether or not he ever attained "rock star" status after Woodstock is irrelevant. His music gives me a sense of peace and understanding of things that other music has yet to provide me. Whether it's his first or most recent record, the songs tell stories and capture feelings that I've felt but have needed someone to sing to me.

Well, Tuesday will be big for the Dems. Here goes nothing...

|