Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, February 25, 2008

2/25

The Clinton campaign is apparently taking several pages out of the Rove playbook, leaking photos of Obama in Kenya wearing traditional tribal garb, including a turban. This, on top of her attack of Obama's lack of [insert anything here] and ability to [insert anything here]. With the polls showing a dead heat in Texas and a narrowing lead by Hillary in Ohio, I think the writing's on the wall for the Clinton campaign to either win and win BIG or else duck out and be a team player, something that's never boded well for either Clinton, Hillary or Bill.

Today's listening has been great.

Bruce - Darkness On the Edge of Town
The Who - Who's Next
Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time
Decca Records - Anthology of Swing, Vol. I
Coleman Hawkins - Encounters Ben Webster
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz
Horace Silver - Finger Poppin'
Richie Havens - Grace of the Sun

I just received in the mail Havens' memoir and I'm already halfway through it. It's an easy, colloquial read that's making me (at this point in the book) fall in love with the myth of Greenwich Village in the early '60s; it's a time that never really existed, only retold by people who claim they visited. Surely, a case of wanderlust sits in and wonder if ever the day will come that I may leave the walls of my home for an extended period of time to seek a freedom that, at this point in my life, would not serve me well. Still, a fabulous story of a magical time in pop music history.

|