Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, March 10, 2008

3/10

Well, Elliot Spitzer bit the dust today. $5,500 an HOUR hookers? I wonder if they prorate...

Hillary had the gall to offer Obama the veep spot. Considering she's behind in the delegate count and that she charged that he wasn't qualified to lead, I'd say that the Clinton camp is showing signs of fatigue. Pulling out a page from the Rove playbook with the 3 a.m. garbage ad and now this, we're seeing the Clintonian politics of self-centeredness; her antics, if successful, will not only divide the nation against her but also her own party.

The Black Crowes' new album is exactly like the best of their previous records: the best you've ever heard with a couple of songs that are so Crowes-y meandery that one wonders just how they ended up on the album over the discarded ones. And yet, the "good" ones are songs that keep you in the faithful rock and roll fold, swearing that there is nothing better than this band in the pocket and always wishing they'd offer you the open guitar slot next year...

BC - Warpaint
Sheryl Crow - Detours (beginning to grow)
Miles Davis (first quintet) - Cookin With and Steamin' With (if one doesn't own these and considers oneself a jazz fan, there's part of life that's missing).

My Yellow Submarine just arrived tonight and I scanned it for my son. We surely have a different sensibility than previous generations regarding violence; I cringed at a couple of scenes for my son that I watched at the same exact age. Are we a better generation or a more 'wussified' one? Either way, I'll be hitting the fast-forward button a couple of times in the film.

Keep your schedule open: Tailgaters on Friday, April 25th, from 8:00 'til midnight. The Shui is in the house!

|