Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Personal

I wanted to keep my railings separate from my travel stories. My trip was good, with some exceptions. My expecting wife is battling severe morning sickness. And afternoon sickness. And evening sickness. This poor, beautiful woman has struggled so hard. She dropped six pounds just over our vacation and will probably have to go to the ER for an IV to keep herself hydrated.

Philly was cool. Little sight-seeing, though I celebrated my ninth anniversary there and took my son to Sesame Place, a small theme park with the muppet characters aimed at little children's interactive playing and sharing. Took my son's picture with the Count and I thought my son would bust a stitch, he was smiling so much at this Sesame Street character. Elmo's World was also wonderful.

Visited the Gettyburg national battlefield and covered the entire park with my history-nut brother. We must have walked ten miles in about four hours, from Little Round Top to Cemetary Ridge. I was moved to see the location of where Lincoln delivered his two-minute address and was barely heard. Saw a shirt that said, "If At First You Don't Secede, Try and Try Again." I thought about sending that shirt to the Sunni population of Iraq.

New York City was again wonderful. Strolled one day through Central Park with my family. Hiked our butts all the way to 88th Street to see the Guggenheim only to find it scaffolded over and under reconstruction. Figures. Drove to Sutton Place to re-re-create the Woody Allen photo from "Manhattan." Found the stupid bench this time. Problem here was the fact that the trees were still in full foliage and the 59th Street Bridge couldn't be seen. Check out my blog from March 2004 and you'll love my second-round FUBAR. Cripes.

Ellis and Liberty Islands were amazing. My son loved imitating the Statue of Liberty and I could have spent all day looking at the island that received 15 million immigrants. Took some great shots of the skyline. Accidentally drove across the Manhattan Bridge (thank you, Sonny Rollins!) and back into the city across the Brooklyn Bridge, which was a very cool little goof. Never drive in NYC; it's ridiculous. An hour to get 3/4 of a mile? The Village. Washington Square Park and NYU. Broadway and Times Square. The Flatiron. NEVER enough time to see and do all the wonderful things in NYC. I guess we'll have to leave it for one more "next time"!

Branford Marsalis Quartet continues to floor me. I've often said that he's my favorite contemporary jazz performer. The Jazz Standard is a jazz "club", not some Yoshi's-type performing arts center. Sat at a distance from Branford closer than the distance to the edge of my kitchen table typing this. Only drawback: an hour set. Call me nitpicky; I always want at least seventy minutes. However, the twenty-minute "Blackzilla" opener more than made up for the brevity. I would agree, though, with the NY'ers description of the band's ensemble improvising as "sometimes relentless". Still the best ensemble out there. Third time's a charm, BM.

Black Crowes last night: An hour and fifty minutes of the best rock and roll out there. Fifteen songs, two new members, two missed friends, the company of four great friends and at least five thousand fans, one unrecognizable (or new) song and six million guitar changes during an awesome performance. One never knows what he'll get at a Crowes show except one rocking good time. No noodling, just great singing and a tight, tight band. Excellent.

Off to see Gov't Mule Saturday night with Lefty Brown. Check out his blog. Much more important and cosmopolitan than mine.

My estranged grandfather died last weekend. Haven't talked to him since he disinherited the family seven years ago. Still don't know how I feel about his passing except for remorse that someone with so many loving family members felt it necessary to shun them.

Now that my son is a Thomas the Tank Engine fiend (thanks, cousin! :) ), he wants to fly all the time like Harold the Helicopter (and our airplane). Just too cute. Any ideas where to find those little wooden trains for cheap?

|