Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

"Not That There's Anything Wrong With That..."

Here.

Let's start with the first one. "Do as I say, not as I do" is how democracy works, isn't it?

Let's look at the second one. "The best money democracy can buy". Why do I include this second part? Beckstrand is running against my old man, who has refused to lay down for the developers and their lawyers. Even on this dinky little mayoral race in a city of 45,000, this campaign has practically killed any hope of mine for grassroots democracy. Money money money money money money and we wonder why every single political decision made is always contested in court by business, praised by business or questioned by business. We didn't invade Iraq for a bunch of people in an imaginary space with dot-to-dot borders separating them from their neighbors so they could vote or even be free from Saddam Hussein. Or to fear "weapons of mass detruction" for that matter. Three letters and begins with "liquid gold". Why the hell do we kid ourselves with the idea that democracy is worth it? Why should I be promoting this to my students? Why should people care if I vote or not? Part of my bleeding heart liberal says to vote because it's the way to express one's freedom that most in this world do not have. The realist and cynic on the other side makes me question why I should vote for someone over someone else who will either serve the interests of the powerful and wealthy only to be removed if she/he doesn't serve their interests. I'm terribly jaded right now and wish that either democracy would simply just rename itself something more realistic or that something or someone would arise to actually make our system be carried out to how it should be working.

Anyway, this possibly could be one of my last posts as an employee of the school district, eh? I wouldn't put it past my neurotic fascist employer to crack my head along with anyone speaking about this. Figures.

|