Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The Usual Stuff

The Senate didn't go nuclear, but was I the only one who noticed the photo of William Rehnquist being brought into the Court's chambers in a wheelchair?

Congress is staring a Bush veto in the face over stem cell research. The discarding of "unneeded" embryos is tantamount to murder, so the right wing says. Should we ban contraceptives, or hell, for that matter one night stands?

Republicans like Lindsay Graham caught flack from Focus on the Family's James Dobson for standing as one of the Group of 14 to compromise the Senate's non-nuclear outcome. Further proof that democracy means nothing and that totalitarian control of the American political system is all Dobson and his ilk wish for. Theocracies don't work; at least the ones this government has done its best to topple: Afghanistan and Iran (one down, one to go). Whenever theocratic ideologues take charge, the public squares of towns become funeral pyres and execution sites. Lest anyone think I'm paranoid, find for me the last doctor who was targeted and assassinated for refusing to perform an abortion based on his conscience. Liberals (not radicals) don't kill their political opposition (at least in my ignorant view of American history) yet we have a three hundred year history of watching radical reactionaries killing those who pose a threat to their order and belief system. Let me amend my previous statement; patriots surely killed and abolitionists surely killed for their beliefs. For me to say that liberals equal Crusaders is ignorant and foolish, yet I think my point is clear enough; if we all don't watch out, PBS will become the PTL, public schools will teach Genesis chapters 1 and 2, newspapers will either print Jesus' return or hatred for faggots, Jews, inter-racial marriage or Democrats, and freedom of thought will be something history classes teach were responsible for bringing about Sodom and Gemorrah.

American Idol, at least, has been an opiate for the last couple of months and tonight's final competition was entertaining. Bo, the hot Southern rock bad boy, and Carrie, the gorgeous girl-next-door country popster, both have had a good run. I wonder if both will enjoy a summer tour of singing to twelve year olds, their parents and my favorite sixth grade teacher in the world.

David McCullough's 1776 was released today. This will be my summer treat. One of my favorite authors, McCullough is like grandpa taking you upon his knee to tell you a tale of adventure, yet his history is impeccable. His name being brought up among a rash of historians accused of plagiarism or sloppy footnoting aside, I have learned an immense amount of knowledge from his books. I still remember the summer I tackled Truman and still "Give 'em Hell Harry" is one of my favorite presidents. I plowed through John Adams in less than a week and it's one of the best memories I have of Riverdale (and I can tell you I have countless tales). I'll surely read 1776 while students take their finals in honor of this great historian. I just hope that the text explores the workings of the American Revolution and doesn't serve as a mouthpiece for political consensus that our past is always better than our present.

My son is approaching his ninth month of life. He is the joy of my life. My wife and I agree that we never thought that parenthood would be this rewarding. This morning, as I parted from my wife who was lying in bed with my son, my little boy scrambled across the bed after me and cried, wanting me back and only settling down after I picked him up and kissed him. The more I play with my son, the more I believe in God. I've been taking him swimming lately as well. He loves splashing in the water and watching daddy blow bubbles under water. I dunk him and get him used to being under the surface. He doesn't like it but is getting used to it. Soon, I hope that he can master the butterfly by July.

The new Springsteen album has really grown on me. While some tracks will take years for me to either appreciate or like, at least half of the album ranks up there with any of his best work of the last two decades. It's definitely the most diverse album he's made; while it'll be a long while before another comes out, I'll be very happy trying to make sense of just who Leah is, contemplate the humanity of Jesus, and whether he is in love with Mary or Maria.

Happy 64th, Zimmie.

Happy 8th, sweetheart.

|