Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Guilty Pleasures

Well, Carrie won, she looked great, sang alright, and Bo was totally dissed tonight. That's okay; we'll see him around more. Isn't funny to think that prefab popstars like this can actually make hits and careers out of this? I wonder whether anyone will go their own way, write their own music, and set their own trends. Anyway, I watched all season, got hooked again, enjoyed myself and look forward to next season.

Bill Frist lost some oompf in his presidential sails this week. At least he's got a medical career to fall back on. He can be the next Dr. Phil; watch someone over a video for two minutes and then pontificate to the nation on how to behave.

Amnesty International, which I am a member of, blasted the U.S. government as the worst example for torture and treatment of prisoners. Not on actual track record (which hasn't been great since George Bush declared a holy war on non-white people), but as an example for nations it does business with - Egypt, Uzbekistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan. If being a compassionate conservative means treating others like the Romans treated Jesus, then maybe ol' Georgie et al need to re-watch Mel's movie.

Took my boy in the pool again. He played on the steps and splashed. Gag, I know.

Two weeks until school gets out. Thank God. I need a break. I'm looking forward to David McCullough's 1776, which I'm getting tomorrow.

|