Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Beautiful Day, Part 2

I just caught wind that I'll be getting a copy of the U2 show that I saw just three days ago! How's that for modern technology. I'll take a couple of B&P's if anyone's interested. As the show has sunk in and I've had the opportunity to digest the songs, I've come to appreciate the concert in a much different light. I still believe that the band was just getting warmed up and in many ways repeated itself from the Elevation Tour. However, I also believe that Bono is continuing on his religious quest for answers. Much of the setlist and attitude of the frontman was one of a man finding what he has been looking for. The anti-war, anti-poverty, unitarian Christian message was at the forefront of Bono's songs and I think we're seeing a man closest to the Bono of October-era U2. The encore being "All Because of You", "Yahweh", and "40" is enough to declare U2 the best church band in the world. Yet, the band's politics isn't that of a determined effort of prostelyzation but of challenge. Pride (In the Name of Love) brings about the efforts of Martin Luther King to the passion of Christ; Sunday Bloody Sunday connecting with Running To Stand Still, which was dedicated to the men and women of the U.S. armed services, draws the commentary line. People wonder why much of the contemporary Christian message rings hollow for so many others. The answer is clear: you need a messenger with words worth listening to. I think that I enjoyed myself more than I originally thought. God bless the boys from Dublin.

P.S. - Bono's elegaic words for John Paul II were touching and emotionally moving, even for this non-Catholic who at least must recognize the consistent efforts of a man to bring about the end to poverty and war over a twenty-six year papacy.

|