Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, April 11, 2005

Sit Tight, Take Hold

On May 5, I will be making my way to the Oakland Paramount Theatre to see Bruce live!!! A solo acoustic tour like his incredible Tom Joad tour of ten years ago, this one should be great. I'm looking forward to seeing songs that he doesn't play live as well as the new material. Apologies to my friend Lefty, though. I tried to buy two tickets when Ticket ******** put them on sale. I asked for two tickets and was denied. I made a second attempt for a single and came up with Row O!!! I'll be fifteen rows away!!! What a way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Here's to an acoustic version of Backstreets.

The U2 show last Saturday was a bit of a bust. The preparty of dinner and heading to the show was wonderful, thanks to our close friends Neil and Shelley. It was Shelley's birthday and we were amped for the show. Getting there was wasy. The venue looks and sounded somewhat decent. Openers The Kings of Leon totally sucked. Wherever the kingdom of Leon is, new management is needed immediately. What made the show a bomb was a twenty-minute exchange with our babysitter who claimed to be really struggling to get my son quiet. My wife and I spent the majority of the second hour in the concourse area debating whether to call Heather a cab, leave early, or let the woman settle William down. In the process, I missed several songs that I came to hear. Totally crappy. The show itself was great though not magical. Some gaffes and kinks that will get worked out over the tour, but I wanted something where the band gelled and came together in a blissful moment of new, but I was denied this time. Oh well. Lots o' the new album, which was the best sounding, just a little of the old stuff, and lots of mid-career stuff. I'm glad I went but I'm really looking forward to the November show!

|