Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Year's End Musings...

As we're ready to kiss 2010 goodbye, we all need to give our thoughts to the twelve months we're leaving. Bittersweet year, professionally and personally but when it comes to music, it's probably been the best year of my life. I caught more shows this year than any other and while my collecting habits have become a bit safe and parochial (thank my age and the economy for that), I've ultimately been happy with what I've been listening to.

As for the best releases I've acquired this year, this is it. Actually, THIS IS IT:

1. Truth & Salvage Co. - the greatest band to come around in a decade. The nicest guys to be in the greatest band. The band that saved rock and roll for me. Twelve songs that will stick with me for the rest of my life. Not only is the album of superlative quality, my experience with this band makes this album truly personal. These songs have become a part of me. The whole kit and kaboodle, these guys and their music and this album have made rock and roll real again and accessable and visceral; how do I simply say it? I LOVE THIS BAND. As I told the drummer Smitty, the Truth and Salvage Co. are an old friend I'm meeting for the first time. God bless these guys.

2. Bruce Springsteen - The Promise/Darkness On the Edge of Town remastered package. I wish my trash was this perfect. While the DVDs and whole box just arrived for Christmas, the two-disc set of out-takes are sublime. I don't care whether they've been 'tampered with' or not; these 21 songs are just what this Bruce fan needed - soul, with horns and love and passion, especially in a time of fear, angst and anger. Thank you, Boss, for giving us some love. Yes, do note that Bruce was topped by another band. See #1.

3. Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Preservation. Majestic album with the band accompanied by legendary performers. As I've said, when I die, I want these guys taking me out. And to think, I caught these guys in Antioch in March, giving us this music like it was the most important message we'd ever heard. And it was.

4. Delaney and Bonnie and Friends - On Tour box set. From 1969, the greatest band in the world no one still has listened to. Four cds of magic, with Eric Clapton and his future Dominos pushing the greatest soul/blues/gospel/rock in the world. THIS is the band I want to be in.

5. John Mellencamp - No Better Than This. If for nothing else other than the opening song, "Save Some Time To Dream". You know music's good when you play it for your friends and they cry.

6. The Black Crowes - Croweology.
7. Crazy Heart - Soundtrack.
8. Bob Dylan - Widmark Demos and live 1963
9. The Drive By Truckers - The Big To-Do
10. Oh goodness, I'm really at #10. I'm torn, not for including a 'token' woman' but because these three albums are equally good, staid and inconsequential this year; let's just call it a tie: Sheryl Crow - 100 Miles From Memphis; She & Him - Vol. II; Tift Merritt - See You On the Moon.

Of course, there are plenty of amazing records I came across this year that were birthed prior to 2010 but only came my way these last twelve months. Many are noteworthy:

The Band - Rock of Ages
The Clancy Brothers - Live at Carnegie Hall
Bobby Charles - epon.
John Phillips - The Wolfking of L.A.
Judy Collins - Who Knows Where the Time Goes - probably the three greatest finds of the year. One due to loss, one due to upgrade and another due to pluck; subtle and perfect.
Arlo Guthrie - Hobo's Lullaby, Washington County - nowhere near perfect and yet so sincere. Something I pray could end up my epitaph.
Richie Havens - six total, my favorite probably being Something Else Again or Live - I can listen to him for hours and be taken away to a time that I missed, never lived through and that never existed. So captured in time and yet timeless.
Willie Nelson - Red Headed Stranger
Swell Season - Strict Joy
A Tribute to Woody Guthrie
Big Star - first two albums. God rest Alex Chilton.
Pete Seeger - Greatest Hits. Apologies.
Anat Cohen - Live at the Village Vanguard
Billie Holliday - Complete Decca Recordings, 1944-1950
Red Garland - Quintet, Trio
Miles Davis - many, many pre-1957 Quintet lineups

I know I'm missing so much. That's my life. That's life. I'm glad I was able to resurrect my 'blog this year, though with major inconsistencies. I think I either realized or learned something about politics - they don't mean as much to me. Sad, I know, but what matters is what is in front of me - my family, my music. If 2011 is as half as good as this year, next year will be pretty amazing.

|