Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Monday, May 03, 2010

Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here

Last Wednesday, I shot down to Santa Cruz to a small blues bar in order to catch the coolest new band on the road, the Truth & Salvage Co. They drew attention opening for the Black Crowes last fall and winter and this spring opening for the Avett Brothers. They were supposed to play the Boom Booom Room in San Francisco over the MLK weekend but due to a scheduling conflict, they cancelled. Not before I bought tickets and dragged a couple of friends out to the city, pumped to go, only to find the band not present as we were lining up to the stools. I contacted the band regarding the goof and received a reply from the band's website and, the drummer, no less! Apologetic, the band offered me the chance to catch them on the guest list the next they rolled around town, which was amazingly cool. I took them up on their offer two weeks ago as they hit Oakland's Fox Theater opening for the Avett Brothers' spring tour. I dragged two more friends and we caught the boys in fine form - forty minute opening set, great harmonies, great mood and great vibe. Whenever an opening band not only gets heads moving and feet tapping but loud ovations between songs is a good sign that the band is not simply filling time before the headliner. I bought a poster with the hopes of thanking the band for their generosity and was met with much, much more. I caught Bill "Smitty" Smith in the lobby and introduced myself. I was greeted with a handshake and a hug. After some time chatting, he brought me over to the rest of the guys who took my poster away and signed it up and down. I was introduced and even recognized as the guy that showed up to the Boom Boom and the band and I chatted it up for the next forty minutes, sharing cool stories of the Crowes tour, the upcoming album and what I thought of their sound. They told me they were coming back to Santa Cruz two weeks after and I told them that I would catch them there.
Fast-forward to last Wednesday - Moe's Alley in Santa Cruz. The rest is going to be something I keep - for the sake of being a total geek. The highlights: seventy-five minute set ( a killer "The Shape I'm In" cover!), small but responsive crowd, lots of pictures and memories of a band on its way to bigger and greater success. The record coming out on the 25th will grab some attention and the band's summer tour will bring more. I'm thrilled that I'm catching them open for the Crowes again with Steve P. in Saratoga, which ought to be a dynamite gig. Like the Eagles' first album, here promises to be a collection of songs with some great rockers, soaring Topanga Canyon harmonies and a handful of songs that will remind people of the power of classic rock and roll.

|