Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Friday, April 10, 2009

So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright.
I cant believe your song is gone so soon.
I barely learned the tune
So soon
So soon.

Ill remember Frank Lloyd Wright.
All of the nights wed harmonize till dawn.
I never laughed so long
So long
So long.

Architects may come and
Architects may go and
Never change your point of view.
When I run dry
I stop awhile and think of you

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
All of the nights wed harmonize till dawn.
I never laughed so long
So long
So long.

My favorite architect, who passed away fifty years ago yesterday. Of course, Paul Simon wrote the song to his partner, Art, who holds a master's degree in mathematics and studied architecture. The plays on words dealing with architectural vocabulary make the song a double entendre as well as a farewell to a twelve-year partnership that was ending acrimoniously.
I've had the good fortune of seeing several of Wright's works, having traveled to Chicago and Oak Park, Illinois. We have a friend who lives seemingly down the street from Wright's Oak Park nieghborhood which made for a couple of nice visits years ago. My favorite is the near-complete renovation of the Robie House in the south side of Chicago, walking distance from the University. Beautiful works of art. Makes one wish that his own dwelling could be a piece of art worthy of study and praise. So long, FLW.

|