Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Rockin' In the Free World

Back from San Diego after visiting my family. Good time, though the trips were long. Uni High no longer exists, so my Almost Famous landmark is gone. Too bad. I did get to drive through O.B., though, so that was cool. Spinning

Van the Man - St. Dominic's (on St. Paddy's Day!)
Greenfire - good ol' Celts...
Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Bruce - BITUSA, WOAD. Doing all I can to avoid the rehearsal show setlists. So far, so good. Hard to believe it's just one week away!!!!!!!
Sheryl Crow - Best of. I love her. Seeing the youtube clip with her at the Beacon with the ABB was killer. She's a babe and a rocking one at that.
U2 - No Line. Still working on this one, though the tunes are becoming catchier.
Jethro Tull - Aqualung. Because I'm a teacher, right? Just a great record.
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 Days 100 Nights. The best record no one's listening to...
Derek and the Dominos - Layla. Eric and the ABB boys. Too cool. I agree with drummer Butch Trucks that EC's lost quite a bit but still history-making to see him with them. The closest any one us now will get to that magical line up from 1970.
Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams.
Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - All the Roadrunning. Good music for grownups.
Allmans - Evening With, vol. I
Bob - Highway 61
John Mellencamp - Best of
Tift Merritt - Tambourine.

spent a lot of time in the backyard of my brother's new house, letting the kids play on the swings and slide and just enjoyed life in San Diego. Taught his AP classes and maybe they learned something. Learned just how nice private schools are. Went to the zoo. Participated in an Anti-Iraq War Anniversary rally and saw Cindy Sheehan. Brought the kids, so they can officially say they started young. Now I'm back and just killing time until school starts. Ran into an old friend this week. Twice, actually. Hard to believe she and I would end up raising our children in the same town we grew up in. Not sure whether a Garth Brooks or a Bob Seger song is more appropos.

|