Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

In the Course Of Human Events

It's never been more necessary and proper to overthrow the form of government that has shown blatant and flagrant disregard for the rule of law, historical tradition and the trappings of the Constitution that limit the powers of the government and its officials to preserve, protect and defend at all times. In the last three weeks alone, the Bush Administration has

commuted the sentence of convicted felon Scooter Libby in what appears to be at least a case of cronyism (not even Nixon pulled this maneuvre in '73)

defied a Congressional subpoena demanding documents that are owed to the public record regarding the Alberto Gonzales scandal and the politicization of the DOJ

placed the office of the Vice President in its own branch of government, neither in the executive nor the legislative branches, in order, at any time, to keep Dick Cheney from any legal or constitutional accountability

continued to publicly lie about its actions and moral integrity regarding Washington politics, its role in the nation's government and its goals in protecting the American people (why Karl Rove is still working for the president when he's been clearly implicated in the DOJ scandal simply proves that the president is not a man of his word)

The only thing missing in all of this is the moral outrage of an informed citizenry. This train of abuses will simply continue, however, as long as the majority of the people fail to see how the Bush Adminstration has run roughshod over every principle this nation stands for. I, for one, demand immediate peaceful regime change and would like to see the process expedited.


I've been busy the last three weeks with the demand of parenting. My growing brood is definitely challenging but I believe our family has finally found its niche and routine in meeting the needs of the children. They're wonderful and these last three weeks have been great. Now, if my oldest can just complete potty training before summer ends! My brother and his family were in town last weekend and I enjoyed seeing their children and all of the kids playing together. The time in the mountains was the highlight of the summer.

Two weeks ago, I decided on a lark to catch Roger Waters at the Oakland Coliseum. I scored a ticket for half price and caught one of the most enjoyable concerts I've seen in a long time. Waters is truly the missing element of any Pink Floyd experience and anyone who caught the band in its mid-90s version knows that much was missing. The setlist was fantastic, with songs from the late 60s through the mid 80s, a sampling of his solo material and Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety. While I much would have heard something else, it was great to see one of the most influential rock musicians on my life perform at the top of his game.

"She's an illegal immigrant and she doesn't speak English. She's a bad example for this country". This I heard yesterday in Target from a mother explaining to her three year old daughter why she would not buy her an article of clothing with, of all people, Dora the Explorer. I just wish I run into this woman in church sometime soon. I helped score her memberships to the Minutemen, the NRA and the KKK. The biggest problem is explaining to this woman that no one's going to come mow her lawn or wash the dishes at the restaurant she frequents. I nearly vomited after hearing this woman spew such ignorance and hate into her daughter's head. Another Republican in the making...

Brentwood lost a son last month when Sgt. Stephen Wilson was killed near Faluja, Iraq. A funeral with military honors and a reception was provided last week and my father served in his official duties to his utmost. The city was proud to have him recognize this young man's sacrifice and duty to country all the while mourning a loss that can not be replaced.


DeLillo Rising - I highly recommend Falling Man, Don DeLillo's most recent book about the effect of 9/11 on a fictional group of Manhattanites, their grief and the unimaginable pain and emptiness in the lives of those people that was simply revealed by the tragic events of that Tuesday morning. An amazing novel, as DeLillo never puts the story at "ground zero" at the time of destruction. He gives us events leading up to and following the attacks and weaves a tale so intense that one can't help find being teleported back to the horror of six years ago. The greatest artistic statement about 9/11.

I've been pinching my pennies this summer and not buying a whole lot of music. While I purchased Wilco's Sky Blue Sky and have been enjoying that one immensely, I am ready to make another couple of finds in the next day or two. The Traveling Wilburys will be picked up even though it may not be a masterpiece. Just two hours of rollicking, good, fun rock and roll. I need need NEED a remastered and expanded copy of The Band's eponymous second album. I've been repeatedly playing this one all summer. Also, Ian Hunter's latest album is an absolute score. I have a feeling this one will end up on several Top 10 lists of the year. What's most amazing is that Hunter, of Mott fame, is 68 and is at the top of his game.

I know this post is a bit scattershot, but I've had ideas I've wanted to just get out of my head these last three weeks. Maybe I'll be able to organize my next post a bit better. I've been watching a load of films this summer so maybe I'll discuss my cinematic explorations. Until then, say goodbye, it's Independence Day.

|