Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Friday, December 29, 2006

Redux

Maybe I was too flippant in my previous post. I'm not sure I can truly be nothing but negative when thinking about where our country is, led so by our current neocon ideologue. Maybe I need to stop and think about exactly what has just happened.

We're in the waning hours of 2006; roll the "year in review" tapes and articles. As we all reflect on another calendar year completed, we're burying a former president and a dictator. What will all of this bring? Am I too cynical? I don't know; watch the tapes of the Ford presidency and then pick up any history textbook analyzing the mid-70s. Often, journalism and history is really the propagation of arbitrary reactions and feelings guised as fact and assessment. What does this mean for our memory of the past and how we make sense of it all?

|