Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Friday, December 22, 2006

Stop the Presses

I have a new addition to my top 10 which means one will have to go. Some of my students gave me a gift card to our local bookstore, so I went to burn it yesterday. I picked up a handful of Chris' top-20 recommendations and a couple of others as well. I spent over an hour sampling them. I had with me the new Built To Spill (almost took this one home - awesome!), Waiting For Columbus, Neil Young's Tonight's the Night (still struggle with this one - should be in Kill Your Idols) and the one I took home: Okonokos, the new live album by My Morning Jacket. Since having my son, my involvement and purchasing of new music has dramatically decreased. I have, however, happened to stumble over this great band from Kentucky, and thankfully, when they released their first "real" full-length album in 2003. Since then, they've been some of my favorite music to listen to. In typical classical fashion, the band's third album is a double-disc live performance from the Fillmore in San Francisco. While the twenty-song set includes probably fifteen or so tunes from the two albums, this set is what someone needs who wants to check this band out. The first disc is tip-top; the second disc truly shows off the "live" aspect that makes a great performing band well-known. Singer Jim James' voices begins to tire in the second hour and he struggles to hit a couple of notes. So what? It's like correcting Duane Allman's grammar at the end of Mountain Jam. This record's going to receive a lot of play over my holiday.

Off to get ready for the party.

Did you hear what the Republican from Virginia said about the new House member from MN who happens to be the first Muslim elected to Congress? The U.S. needs to restrict immigration in order to keep this place from being inundated by Muslims. And nothing from the GOP. And yet, all hell will break loose the first time an employee from anywhere wishes someone a 'happy holidays', right?

|