Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Holiday Musings

First off, shoot over to Tony's blog about his experience in a Fresno bar waiting to catch Devon Allman's Honeytribe. You'll see why this guy's blog needs to be published in book form. Maybe this will be our own undertaking...

Christmas was magic. My nephew was the first baby born in his hospital on Christmas Day, which was a blessing. My son loved the day and rightfully so; Santa and his family took good care of him. I'm on my second day of vacation and am loving it. I've had a great time reading as well. I finished Kill Your Idols and am flying through Erik Larson's The Devil in the White City. I can't put this down and I know I'm going to get into trouble as I do absolutely nothing around the house until I finish the book. Next up, after finishing my Masumoto book, is Frank McCourt's book on being a teacher. Should be fun.

The 38th president of the United States, Gerald R. Ford, died last night at the age of 93. A gentle and benign president, in my opinion; someone bookended by some of our biggest disappointments. While our pop culture memory is lavishing heaps of praise on the decade of the 70s, when one looks back at it with analytical candor, he/she will see that the decade was a terrible one, only to be followed by the Reagan years!!! :) Of course I'll be glued to the television as the specials and memorials air, just like I did with Reagan and Nixon.

|