Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Saving Face

Finally, it has arrived! I'm digging on "Five Guys Walk Into A Bar...", the box set of The Faces, just about the coolest band of the early 70s. I'm saying it: The Faces were better than the Stones. Yes, they were, Steve. Sorry, but Woody actually was worth his salt in the early 70s before disco and pop wrecked both bands. Four discs and nearly fifty outtakes, plus the band's studio cuts and great packaging. I remember reading an interview with Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes (ironically, as those birds always wanted to be Rod and Woody) and he said something that is totally true. He (I'm paraphrasing, of course) said that no matter how old music is, it's brand new when you hear it for the first time. I'm hearing rock and roll for the first time, as five guys boogie their way through bluesy bar rock. Had that band gigged in a bar in my town, I would have had my mail delivered there!!! You owe it to yourself to pick this up. Then, the next time you're in the mood for a major dosing, throw on all four discs of "Five Guys" interspersed with the Rod box set and give yourself the best nine-hour blast of killer, true-to-heart, authentic and gutsy rock. Rod, I watched you on Idol last night and guess what? I know where you belong.

Speaking of The Faces, tickets go on sale this weekend for the Black Crowes in June. They're playing with Robert Randolph and the Family Band and the Drive-By Truckers. Caught the Crowes in '95, in '98 and twice last summer. Want to go to rock and roll camp? Catch this band live. They'll make you wish for a time machine to the early 70s; especially when Kate is that tiny dancer on the side of the stage :)

|