Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bruce On the Loose

I was able to live stream Bruce's new album today, The Seeger Sessions, and I enjoyed what I heard. Of course I'll buy the album, that's not the issue. I also don't mind that what I'll be buying won't be the next best The Rising or Nebraska; what I'll be picking up is a labor of love by an artist putting his own two cents on half-century old music that truly is timeless. Pete Seeger's music is more than the man; listening to his music is like listening to the music Jerry Garcia played outside of the Dead; music that was bigger than him, that spoke for countless people who lived and died anonymously and who lived their lives without the concern of art's sake. Seeger, however, captures the art and conveys it in his way that exposes the roots and values of performance music. No instrumental flash, no injection of personality, nor any sense that the person is bigger than the story. Bruce's new album attempts to recreate those stories in this album and since this artist has always been about the story, what we hear is a hootenannie of the Boss kind. Why should, then, people listen to this album in 2006 or any time at all? The album contains songs just as relevant today as they were first recorded; stories about the push for civil rights, songs about people overcoming the barriers and walls of life, anti-war and pro-equality music. What Bruce is doing is not only evolving politically but expressing his desire for others who believe in the truths of his own music to buy into the music of others who paved the way for pompous, self-centered rock stars who sing songs of sacrifice and pain and hope. Bruce has always been labeled as the least ironic rock artist and this Seeger Sessions album only continues that label. Now, with the announcement of a summer tour (and a stop at the CONCORD PAVILION!!!!!!), hopefully tickets will be much cheaper than the $100 that they've been going for the last two tours. A slight drop in price would deflate the cult of personality for this tour but I highly doubt that's going to happen. Though, as my friend Steve just alerted me, I can balance all of this out with true rock star pomposity with a night with the Black Crowes a week later!

I darkened the doors of church on Easter and enjoyed, for the most part, being back in the fold, so to speak. Music was the best part and the sermon the weakest; the greatest moment of all was the band and choir's rendition of U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" a la the Rattle and Hum version with the Harlem church choir. Not only did the group perform my favority "Christian" band but the one song that captures my journey and my feelings and where I happen to be. But yes, I'm still running, oh, God help me.

|