Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Friday, April 14, 2006

More Music Musings

I've got time as my son is supposed to be taking a nap, to throw down some fun, random thoughts regarding the tunage entertaining me of late. It hit me (not seriously, as in the road to Damascus way) as I was listening to my ELO's Greatest Hits that the time of day truly determines the quality of the music. A while back, I tried listening to said cd at night time and it made me question my sanity at the time of purchase. Weather's always a major factor in listening choices (Joni, Carol King, early Van in the rain) but I began wondering just what is "day" music and what is "night" music. The Eagles always sound better in the day with the sun shining; Marvin Gaye...sheesh, do we even need to really discuss this? I really think the Allmans sound better in the day time though the Grateful Dead sound better at night. Off the top of my head:

Day Records Night Records
John Mellencamp The Divinyls (kidding, of course)
Phish Let's Get It On
Simon and Garfunkel Wynton Marsalis (heck, most jazz)

There's a start. I'd love to read others' opinions on this.

American Idol musings: well, last week was sure proof of Freddie Mercury's amazing talent and most contestants' inability to match it. Most numbers were lackluster or missing the vocal pyrotechnics that made Queen's music so operatic and heavy metal at the same time. Next week: Rod Stewart!!! Now, this could either be a trainwreck or an awesome competition. Could you imagine some of the current contestants's attempts at '70s Rod? We could see some killer stuff. Stay With Me? Tonight's the Night? Do Ya Think I'm Sexy might even be a hoot. The First Cut is really a Cat Stevens song but essentially Rod owns it. Man, anything from those killer Faces and early solo albums could cinch this week for Taylor Hicks, the Mark Cohn/Joe Cocker guy who is my guilty pleasure for the sake of his raspy, soulful voice that could do so much with a rock band and a desire to kick off some mean Bob Seger.

Speaking of Seeger, still waiting on ticket release...the liner notes, essays and the DVD side of the album look great. So do many of the photos from the sessions. This week's New Yorker really places Pete Seeger's legacy in perspective and helps the reader understand why, of all musicians, Seeger would be covered by Bruce.

|