Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

What To Think?

I know it's been a while since I last posted but I've been back teaching and things are busy. When the dust settles, I'll get back into a routine. Chris, you need to pick up the five-disc bootleg version of Dylan's Basement Tapes. They're truly incredible. I just need to find the history of them. Classes are large and busy and crazy and maybe just maybe I'll find some relaxing time to reorient myself.

Bought a guitar on e-bay; picked up an Epiphone Dot because I wanted a humbucking guitar that could play jazz and rock and give me a totally different, non-Fender sound than I've had for the last fifteen years.

On a very sad note, I want to post my condolences to the family of Joey Graves, Liberty High School class of 2003, who was killed in an ambush in Iraq last week and who will be laid to rest later this week. He was twenty-one and had been married to his high-school sweetheart for twelve days. We are now just one more statistic, one more number and another loss; when will this end? What does this mean for our nation? What does it mean when young men and women risk their lives for something that most of us have lost faith in? This war is now longer than Korea, longer than the Persian Gulf War, longer than our involvement in World War I and even longer than our involvement in World War II; this war is longer than the War of 1812 and the Mexican-American War. Only three wars in our nation's history are longer: the Revolution, the Civil War and Vietnam. See the pattern?

|