Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

60 and Failing Strong

One of my first blogs was about the shared birthday of our current president and the I.Q.-challenged Forrest Gump. Both are symbols of the baby boom. Both seem to be in extremely important historical times and both of them are so stupid they seem like idiot savants. I truly think that they are the same person.

God help us if George W. Bush is the model baby boomer. Indulged and self-indulgent. Scoffing at the Left and hippies and yet embrace their values (not responsbly holding a job as an adult, dope and a hell of a lot of booze). Parental hard work to squander. No recollection of early adult years (at least the military can't find anything). Several unsuccessful business ventures. Family connections to springboard to political office. And what was done on his own merit? A disastrous war and impeachable offenses? For crimony's sake, I hope that someone else can find another model of the baby boom because I weep for the past, not the future.

Bruce is on PBS tonight. Maybe he's the baby boomer we should look at as the model. Then again, maybe we shouldn't.

My former band, Funk Shui, was resurrected last night for our yearly gig in the park. We'll probably fall apart afterwards so I'm probably looking for someone to play with as of now.

Because it's Thursday or maybe just for the hell of it, I pierced my ear this afternoon. With full approval and support of my beautiful wife. I would've chickened out had she not forced me to go. :)

Just finished Becoming Almost Famous. A fast but enjoyable read. Steve, you should read it; you'll love it. I'll dig into his earlier books but I've got Phillip Roth's latest to finish by this weekend.

|