Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Craaaazzzzyyyyy

I just ordered Ben Fong-Torres's new book, Becoming Almost Famous and look forward to the essays of rock and culture. I was turned on to this legendary rock critic by Cameron Crowe's movie of almost the same title. Also, i read a little of F-T's stuff in a couple of long-distance cross country roadtrips in the summers of 2001 and 2002. After moving to the Bay Area, I found that Ben lives in the SF region and often writes for the SF Chronicle. I even wrote him an e-mail once, asking about local radio and the Crowe movie. He politely wrote me back and even signed off with a "CRAZY", which makes no sense unless you see the aforementioned flick. Now that I'm planning the curriculum for my rock history course, I've had a wishful thought: maybe I could contact him and have him visit my classes! Whether or not he'd haul his derriere out to B-town to talk to a bunch of high school students is up to him; if I were him, I wouldn't do it, either. However, there's always a chance that he'd be willing and free to turn on eighty or so seventeen- and eighteen-year-olds about rock writing and the future of the industry of rock and radio. Doesn't that sound interesting? Oh, baby...

|