Welcome to my asylum for ideas and thoughts on movies, politics, culture, and all things Bruce Springsteen.

Saturday, September 11, 2004

The Rising

Today marks the third anniversary of the terrorist attacks on New York City and the capital. Truly, a day I will never forget. I chose not to wrap myself in the repetitive news footage of the falling towers, the countless fliers of lost relatives, and the punditry's attempt to signify what three years since 9/11/01 really means. Instead, I made sure my flag on my front porch waved, I played with my son, and listened to Bruce Springsteen's The Rising as my own somber yet positive memorial to that terrible day.

The sky was falling and streaked with blood
I heard you calling me then you disappeared into the dust
Up the stairs, into the fire
Up the stairs, into the fire
I need your kiss, but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs into the fire

You gave your love to see in fields of red and autumn brown
You gave your love to me and lay your young body down
Up the stairs, into the fire
Up the stairs, into the fire
I need you near but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs into the fire

It was dark, too dark to see, you held me in the light you gave
You lay your hand on me
Then walked into the darkness of your smoky grave
Somewhere up the stairs into the fire
Somewhere up the stairs into the fire
I need your kiss, but love and duty called you someplace higher
Somewhere up the stairs into the fire

May your strength give us strength
May your faith give us faith
May your hope give us hope
May your love give us love

- "Into the Fire" The Rising (2002)


This last week has been a blur. As I posted last, my son William Thomas Henry Taylor was born on September 3, 2004. One of the greatest days of my life. We stayed two and a half days in the hospital because little Will was not eating properly and therefore not gaining the weight the nurses wanted to see him gain. Upon returning home, we had our first "baby 'n me" appointment on Monday and because of several health factors, Will needed to return to the hospital in Walnut Creek. The three of us were there until Thursday night. We have seen major improvements in his weight, eating habits, and color, and hopefully the next visit will warner further good news. So much for staying home and creating a "home pattern" during the week that I had off; I spent six of eight days in some form of hospital room. Yet, I am still thankful that my baby is healthy and happy and home with my wife and me. With the week getting under way in just a day and a half, I'm hoping that my wife will be ready to handle Will all on her own during the daytime.

I'm going to refrain from ranting tonight about the election. However, I will air some grievances and frustrations. First, apparently the Swiftboat Liars For Bush have been successful in decieving the American people about the war record of John Kerry. Second, the current onslaught of imperical evidence pointing out President Bush's lack of service to his country has failed to make a dent on the voting public's opinion of the man, though Kerry still is not a war hero nor did he ever deserve his medals. The irony in this. Third, President Bush will win re-election and by a minimum of five percentage points. I am rescinding my earlier post claiming a Kerry victory. It's not going to happen. Fourth, is John Kerry's campaign manager the same person hired by Al Gore four years ago? These last two elections have been the Democrats' to lose and they've done a damn good job. Five and finally, points 1 through 4 really point out that the average American voter is truly ignorant and therefore because we fail to push for positive, progressive change and growth in this country, we deserve everything we're getting stuck with and deserve to watch this supposed democratic country fall further into oligarchical control of a wealthy, ruling Republican elite that has shown nothing but disdain for the democratic process and progressive change for the sake of improving the majority of lives of Americans and people world wide. I'm just glad that Jesus is a Republican, or he may get really mad about this whole thing. Oh, and don't even get me started about Pat Robertson's claim that Florida's hurricanes are the result of Disney World's openness to a 'Gay Day' at the theme park. God's retribution. Again, I don't have enough time nor energy to dissect that one.



|